AOS is a source-based GNU+Linux distribution which aims to avoid the clutter of distro-specific frameworks, resulting in an environment where what you learn can be applied to almost any system.
It's mostly just a distro to fit my own personal preferences of how a system should work, but if you like it too you're welcome to use it!
Unlike most distros AOS doesn't come with an installer system, instead the buildscript is used to build it from an existing system, either a previously installed system or a liveCD system.
Once you have the base system installed any further packages you wish to install need to be installed manually, but for that the buildwiki can help you on your way.
Or you could use a script to automatically fetch build instructions which you can pipe to a shell.
Some ways in which AOS differs from other sourcebased distributions:
- There is no need to chroot into the installed system to finish setting it up, therefor making it possible to install from a different architecture or even a completely different software platform.
- The entire base system is built from source, no binary stage tarballs.
- Doing things yourself is at the core, no distro-specific magic behind the scenes (what you learn from using AOS will be usable on almost all operating systems, regardless of existing "magic").
- All source is available to you. Unless you choose to remove it yourself, all sourcecode is stored on disk, including the source of the base system in /usr/parent-src.
- More automation of maintenance for the buildwiki.
- Possibly an experimental distro that is essentially AOS pre-built, binary packages, graphical.
2018-07-12 - Updated buildaos.sh. Changelog at files/buildaos-2018-07-12-06.50.changelog.
2017-04-28 - Updated wiki2shell.sh to better handle quotes and backticks in commands that need to be run as root.
2017-01-11 - Updated buildaos.sh to fix an issue with finding the toolchain's ncurses.
2017-01-09 - Updated buildaos.sh. Changelog at files/buildaos-2017-01-09-13.44.changelog.
2016-12-20 - Updated wiki2shell.sh to better handle quotes and backticks in commands that need to be run as root.
2016-10-02 - Updated wiki2shell.sh to better handle comments instructing that commands need to be run as root, for cases where further comments are included.
2016-02-13 - Updated buildaos.sh with some fixes for cross-building. (Changelog)
2016-01-02 - Updated wiki2shell.sh to better handle special characters in commands that need to be run as root, added the --sourcedir option.
2015-11-22 - Updated buildaos.sh with a fix to a minor mistake. (Changelog)
2015-11-20 - Updated buildaos.sh with a workaround for an odd bug in ncurses. (Changelog)
2015-10-19 - Updated buildaos.sh. Changelog at files/buildaos-2015-10-19-17.04.changelog.
2015-05-19 - Updated buildaos.sh. Changelog at files/buildaos-2015-05-19-15.10.changelog.
Show older news